Tuesday, April 7, 2009

TASTE of Savannah art event @ MEAT, 4-4-09






HIP HOP HELL was in full effect on locale @ the TASTE Art Event @ MEAT (Meddling Emerging Artistic Talent) in Savannah, Ga. on Friday April 4th 2009.

MEAT is an impressive place. It’s not in the regular Savannah historic riverfront area, but rather a few miles out in an industrial area past Savannah College of Art and Design. The place used to be an old meat packing plant, and it still kind of looks like one! Its has been converted to artist studio/gallery space, and as I understand this was there first big show/party at the spot.

The party started at 3pm, but Marianne and I got there right after night fall to meet up with DJ Valis and The Dope Sandwich crew. We got to see some B-boy action from the Chief Rockas Crew, and then caught a sweet dance party DJed by a cat named MK2, who had some new electro/dance/bass joint I had never heard.



The art was impressive. There was over 3 rooms of it, over 30 artist were represented. My favorite was this dude, who printed on skateboards!


And of course, the bands. Being the Hip Hop dude I am, I was there to see my homies Dope Sandwich perform…. But before that, I got to catch Atlanta beatbox legend Dres the Beatnick, a gothic band called Toxic Shock Syndrome, and a cover band called Clutch (I believe). Finally after 2am and me and my ole lady’s Jagerbomb break downtown, we got to see Dope Sandwich in all its ill Hip-Hoppin –ness- Basik Lee, Knife, Zone D, Valis, Life, Righteous and all the homies were there rappin they asses off!


Overall, a good trip. I think Savannah is a good sister city to Jacksonville, not to big, not to small, just right. I have a blast every time DSP hosts me. You get that familiar feeling of southern comfort, and none of that big city pseudo intellectual pretentious ness . And they got good shrimps and grits. Big up to my fellow big fishes in small ponds, keep on doing it how your doing it. The south will rise with friends! Looking forward to the next event in September, you can bet HIP HOP HELL, BBB Complex, and RBMA will be in there repping hard as hell!

No comments: